I made Gluten-Free Corn Dogs using Oscar Mayer Jumbo Hot Dogs and they were a big hit with my family. Here’s my recipe:
GLUTEN-FREE CORN DOGS
Makes four corn dogs
1-1/4 cup Gluten Free Cornbread Mix (plus extra to dust the hot dogs with)
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup milk
drizzle of honey
4 hot dogs
4 bamboo skewers cut in half (discard the half with the pointy end)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously coat a cookie sheet with non-stick baking spray
2. Mix the cornbread mix, egg, melted butter, milk and honey until you have an evenly-mixed, but slightly bumpy batter.
3. Roll a hot dog on a plate with the extra cornbread mix until thoroughly coated. This will help the batter stick to the dog.
4. Cut the four bamboo skewers in half and discard the half with a pointy end.
5. Stand the hot dog on the plate and stick the dull finished end into the hot dog until it hits the plate. This leaves the end that you cut sticking out as the handle.
6. Spoon batter onto the top half of the hot dog and then gently set it batter-side-down on the greased cookie sheet.
7. Now you can spoon batter onto the other half of the hot dog being careful not to spoon too much batter on.
8. Repeat for each hot dog until you have four corn dogs on your cookie sheet. Cover the stick handles with aluminum foil to prevent them from burning.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes then take the corn dogs out of the oven to flip them using a spatula.
10. Bake for another 10 minutes after flipping the corn dogs. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes then remove the aluminum foil on the stick handles.
I can’t wait to make my Gluten-Free Corn Dogs again, and this time I’ll do a better job of not putting too much batter on them. Have you ever made corn dogs from scratch? Do you have any tips to share with us?
Originally posted June 18, 2013. This post is sponsored by Collective Bias®, please read my Disclosure Policy.