Give carrot juice a chance! It’s brilliant orange, sweet, and full of good-for-you Vitamin A and beta-carotene. I’m using carrot juice as a substitute for water in my Orangey Pumpkin Muffin recipe to give it a brighter orange color naturally. Pin it to your Halloween, Pumpkin or Snacks or Desserts board!
Now I made this recipe gluten-free because I’m in love with the King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Muffin Mix. But you can certainly try this with any 16 oz. vanilla muffin or cake mix. Because of the extra moisture from the canned pumpkin (it replaces the oil) you’ll need to bake it a little bit longer than usual to avoid a mushy middle. I like using parchment baking cups for my muffins, but you can certainly use any baking cups or simply grease the muffin pan well.
The result is a muffin that tastes like pumpkin pie! My kids are gobbling them up morning, noon and night. I can not call my kids “Pumpkin Muffin” when there are actual edible Pumpkin Muffins in the house – because they think I’m offering them something to eat!
- King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Muffin Mix (or any 16 oz. vanilla muffin or cake mix)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup carrot juice
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- turbinado sugar (optional for a crunchy sweet muffin top)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place a rack in the middle.
- Line two muffin pans with parchment baking cups (or other baking cups) or grease well. This recipe made 16 muffins for me, but it may make less for you depending on how much better you add to each muffin.
- Beat together wet ingredients (eggs, carrot juice, canned pumpkin) with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients (muffin mix, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves).
- Spoon batter into muffin pan filling each cup about half-way full.
- Sprinkle your muffins with turbinado sugar before baking if you'd like a crunchy sweet muffin top (optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Use a toothpick to ensure the muffins are baked in the center.
- Remove muffins from oven when done. Cool & serve.
I hope you liked this recipe and please check out my other recipes too!